We’ve all been there…..
You should be exercising, I mean, you’ve had your workout clothes on for over an hour now. But, here you are – still sitting on the couch pretending to have urgent things to address online. Things that, can we just admit, could wait 30-minutes until you got done with that online yoga class or that quick run….
Why Is It So Hard??
I admit – I’ve been there, too…many times. I still have these moments. I wish I could say I don’t. I’m the queen of suddenly needing to clean the kitchen the second I put my on my sports bra. (I know the blender hasn’t been used for 3 weeks, but it needs washed….NOW.)
The fact is…I’ve not known many people who inherently enjoy exercising. Sure – they enjoy the BENEFITS. And, they are super proud of themselves once their workouts are done. But, to get off the couch and get moving? Always a challenge for some people! We can’t all be like “smiling marathon guy.” Remember him? He ended up with hundreds of memes!
Truth is…there’s no magic to making yourself get up and start that workout. Inertia kicks in, Neflix calls your name, or the kids suddenly need something. (Feel free to insert whatever excuse you have there!)
What You Can Do About It…
While I’d like to have you believe that my internal discipline and motivation is strong and doesn’t falter – that would be a LIE. I can be president of the Lazy Club when I want to be. However, through the years, I’ve developed several simple thoughts I use to get my butt up and moving.
Feel free to adopt any of these if they suit you…..
- 30 minutes is only 2% of your whole day…TWO PERCENT!!
- I tell myself….”You know, there are thousands of people in this world who would love it if their legs could take them 8-10-15 miles, or even across the room. They would love to be able to breath well enough to do what you can do. There are people who would give anything to step out their doors and walk or run. You can, and if you don’t – you are wasting what abilities you have. Abilities that others are doing without – wishing more than anything for them. You have them and you aren’t using them? It’s running/walking/yoga for God’s sake… It’s breathing. In the blink of an eye, your life could change and you may not have any of this.”
- 5 minutes is better than ZERO minutes….just start with 5 minutes!
- For EARLY morning stuff…. “I feel like I am on the only human awake right now and the whole world is mine. I have all these streets to myself. The birds are mine, the wind is mine. I’m sharing it with no one at the moment.” (this one sounds corny….but it’s one of the best feelings in the world to me.)
- In 30 minutes, imagine how proud you will feel of yourself!
It doesn’t matter WHAT gets you up and moving…as long as it works. Some people are motivated by new workout clothes, others by knowing it’s simply good for them. Personally, my motivation needs change frequently. Sometimes I need accountability, other times I want to be left alone to do my thing.
There’s no right or wrong here…there is only… YOU DID IT…or you didn’t. So, if you need that bossy friend to blow up your phone at 6am or you promise yourself a new pair of yoga pants if you work out X number of times this month – it’s OK! Do what works and do it until it no longer works and then find something else that works.
And never forget – something is always better than nothing. Maybe you only make it a few feet from the couch for some stretching….that’s still SOMETHING!
You can now find my book Weight Loss that Works: Secrets to Restoring Confidence and Reclaiming Your Body in the KINDLE STORE! Of course, the ebook/PDF version is also still available for purchase here.
My online weight-loss program is also nearly finished! Most of the videos are done and are being edited as we speak! If you’d like to receive more information regarding this intensive, 8-week online program, please click here to sign up for updates.